Monday, November 18, 2013

Why Am I Returning to Bikram Yoga Studio After 2 Months?


Newest member of our family-Abby, the rescued pooch
Can you practice Bikram yoga with a shoulder injury?I guess I'll find out as I head back to the studio.

Ok, I have to admit, I quit Bikram yoga 2 months ago and didn't plan to go back. I went steadily to the studio from last November to June, then I quit for a month because of shoulder pain, then I tried to go again in August but my shoulder hurt again.

Now it's November and I have really missed Bikram. I miss the smooth, soft feel of my skin which came from sweating in the 105 degree heat. I miss my firmer, more toned abs, I miss not worrying so much about what I eat because I know I'll burn calories in the studio. More than anything, I miss the pain free movement of my body.

As I've gotten older, I've had a lot of joint pain and Bikram really improved it. Not just the obvious joints, like hips and knees but my hands and feet really felt better through yoga. After about 2 weeks of practicing, I noticed that when I got up out of bed in the morning, my feet didn't feel stiff and painful when I first landed on them.

I've also noticed other changes after 2 months away from the studio. I just don't feel as balanced and flexible and certainly not as graceful. Practicing Bikram yoga just made my entire body feel better.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0980531969/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=jourtowell-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=0980531969&adid=0R71DV45Y00EQHCE6KC7
Now only $26.95 on Amazon!
I also have really missed that feeling of accomplishment that came from being a 60+ woman who could hang in there with the 20 somethings.

I do still have a painful shoulder but a friend at the studio recommended once certain teacher who gave her husband tips for practicing with his own shoulder pain so I'll get some advice. I also got some good tips from the Hot Yoga Doctor forum as well.

So, I'll keep you posted on my progress. Now that I've come and gone from the studio a few times, I have to remember that I always end up wanting to go back-so I might as well stay and try and get through the times when I want to quit.

For more great information on Bikram poses, visit the Hot Yoga Doctor. There is a very helpful forum if you have questions, as well as articles and photos to help you improve your hot yoga practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment