Saturday, November 29, 2014

Back to Hot Yoga Class Once Again

Step up Your Practice!
Hot Yoga Again! I can't believe it's been a whole year since my last hot yoga post. I have to admit, being a boomer almost got to me but I know it was because I became inconsistent in my practice. I kept up with my practice all of last year, although I was fizzling out on it, until last September. So what happened?

When I was practicing 3-4 times a week, my stomach was flat, I was wearing a size 6 pants, down from a size 10, and I felt great. My skin felt amazingly soft from the sweating in class. When I started to get tired of the time it was taking to go to class the last couple of months, I was only practicing about twice a week. This wasn't enough to keep my mid-drift from getting bigger and I wasn't feeling the energy and flexibility.

So, in September I just decided to quit and go back to classes at the YMCA. I already go to tai chi classes there. However, after 6 weeks of no hot yoga, I am back to size 10 jeans and a fat stomach.

On December 1, I am going back to hot yoga class. I know when I am consistent with my practice, I feel better about myself, I can keep my weight down without resorting to starvation and I can be back into my skinny jeans in a month.

I realize now, that being a baby boomer, I probably shouldn't be trying to get so deeply into the knee poses and I have a shoulder issue I need to be careful of. Still, for me, I've found the benefits out weight the limitations.

One thing that has helped me a lot with my practice and doing the poses correctly is the book, Hot Yoga MasterClass by Gabrielle Raiz, which is pictured above. Whenever I've had issues with pain in my shoulder or pain in my knees, I found I was not doing the different poses incorrectly. I could read up on the pose in Masterclass and find out the best way to perform it so I could get the most benefit and not hurt myself.

Unfortunately, when you're over 60 and you hurt yourself in any way, it can take months to get back to normal, if you ever do. My advice, if you are younger than 60, is to start practicing and stick with it!



No comments:

Post a Comment